Welcome to the 2019 McKnight Fellowships for Visual Artists application.
Deadline: Friday, March 29 at noon (CT)
We recommend thoroughly reading through the Application Guidelines (download here) prior to starting your application as some components of the application process have changed and expanded.
The MCAD-administered fellowship program uses an independent jury of three arts professionals to competitively award six fellowships. The fellowship runs for two years, June 1, 2019–June 1, 2021, and includes:
- $25,000 (unrestricted) Fellowship funding may be used to enhance any aspect of the artist’s life, such as overhead costs, the purchase of materials, travel, and other living expenses. Awards are subject to state and federal income tax guidelines.
- $3,000 (professional development) Funds may be used for publications, equipment/material purchases, travel expenses for research/workshops/conferences/residencies, shipping expenses for exhibitions, etc.
- Access to MCAD’s facilities, library, and ½ off tuition for Continuing Education courses (one per semester).
- First Year: Six studio visits from national critics/curators/arts professionals.
- Second Year: Opportunity to invite three of the visiting critics back to participate in a McKnight Discussion Series where two fellows and a selected critic develop a dialogue related to their art practices.
INFORMATION SESSIONS AND ONE-ON-ONE MEETINGS
You are welcome to attend a McKnight Information Session with Program Director Kerry Morgan. A video recording of an information session will be available online after February 15.
- Monday, February 4, 6:30 p.m. Minneapolis College of Art and Design, 2501 Stevens Avenue, Minneapolis, Auditorium 150
- CANCELLED (due to weather) Wednesday, February 20, 6:30 p.m. Springboard for the Arts, 262 University Avenue West, St. Paul
- Wednesday, March 6, 6:30 p.m. Two Rivers Gallery, 1530 East Franklin Avenue, Minneapolis
Watch a video recording from a previous info session:
Applicants are also welcome to schedule one-on-one meetings (in person or over the phone) with the program director or fellowship coordinator before submitting their applications online. To schedule a meeting please call 612.874.3667. Please note we will not be able to schedule one-on-one meetings the week prior to the deadline (March 25–29).
For further information, contact:
Kerry Morgan, Program Director
Melanie Pankau, Fellowship Coordinator